Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Family Camping Trip 2011

Last Christmas I decided to give my hubby a camping trip to Ocean City, Maryland. To those of you who know me well, this was an extremely big step for me. In short, camping has never been my thing, I mean if I am going away on vacation I certainly want to live better then I do at home. It is vacation after all. The thought of bugs, smelling like a camp fire, cooking outdoors in small quarters did not seem like something fun to me.

We arrived to our camp site, we rented a cabin ( I know what you are thinking, this is not camping), trust me, it is for me. The cabin was great, the campground we stayed was called Frontier Town. It was fun from the start and there was so much to do. I settled in and was very happy and relaxed and wondered why I hadn't tried this a long time ago. After our first day we met our neighbors who rented the cabin next door. They were very nice, Joe and Chris as were their sons, Joshua and Joey. Little did I know how much those boys knew about the camping experience.

I wanted to make crabs and pasta and was going to buy some at the store. When I told our neighbors this they advised they crab at the pier every day. Their sons said they would catch some crabs for me. I told them, I will pay $1.00 a crab and the deal was on. I watched them the next morning load up their gear and off to the pier they went. I am thinking, I will be happy with 6 crabs for my sauce. These boys are no joke! They caught so many crabs and even taught Alana a thing or two about it. After the first day we were all joined in on the action because Alana was hooked! I must say Joshua and Joey stayed at it day after day. While we were there we experienced an earthquake and the threat of Irene, this did not stop them. By the middle of the week, I had more crabs then I knew what to do with. My dream come true since crabs are my favorite food. On a side note, they didn't want any money for the crabs when all was said and done. Below is a photo of them on the dock doing what they do best, CRAB!

Joshua and Joey Hansen with my daughter Alana! The greatest at catching crabs and quite handsome too! Thank you Joshua and Joey, you helped make our vacation an extremely memorable one, I will miss seeing you guys in morning. You are both so sweet and polite!

Even though we had to end our vacation a couple days early because of Irene it was one of the best vacations we ever had! I will definitely be doing the camping thing again but it will have to be a cabin, not ready to sleep in a tent yet! My recipe for the crabs and pasta is the first post in my blog. Click the crab label to locate it quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment