Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

Pumpkin Bars, Baked With Love

I dedicate this recipe to my mother, my best friend, my inspiration!

My mother has been fighting non-hodgkins lymphoma, she was once in remission, but it reared it's ugly head again in January.  She has now finished her grueling chemo treatments, 8 rounds of radiation, and is now gearing up for a stem cell transplant.  Her strength and attitude have been nothing short of amazing!

Throughout my life, my mom has been my rock, she was always someone I looked up to.  Her positive attitude and love for life have always been contagious.  I always remember our phone ringing off the hook with people calling to talk with her.  My friends chose my house to hang out because my mom was just like us, full of free spirit and laughter.  In short, my house was the place to be!

Now, I am all grown up, married and raising my own child.  I still cannot imagine life without her, and knowing she is fighting cancer for the second time is so scary.  There are times when I face it head on, and that is not a good idea, I simply cannot accept it.   It is much to painful to stare at, so I choose to pray and tell myself it will be ok, it simply has to be!

My love for cooking started in my mother's kitchen, watching, and helping her every night.  She is a fabulous cook, and great baker.  This is one of her signature desserts.  I only ask that when you decide to bake this up, you say a prayer for the woman who this is dedicated to, my MOM!  I love her so much!

My daughter Alana and my mother are extremely close and she will often draw her loving cards to keep her spirits up.  It touches my heart to know my 8 year old is aware of the love my mother needs right now.  Here is Alana after carving her own pumpkin, she is so proud of it!  I figure, I will include it here since we are on the pumpkin subject.


My cousin Gina is on the food advisory board for the local newspaper, the Daily Journal.  She wrote and dedicated a wonderful article for my mom featuring her pumpkin bars.

I thought it would be the perfect time to add this to my blog and share with you.  Gina is like a daughter to me, and another mother to my Alana.  I truly don't know what I would do without her.  She does so much for me and my family.  There are no words for the gratitude and love I feel for her!  Gina Fiocchi, love ya, miss ya, call ya!  You are my best friend, I could not do, what I do every day without you!  You are such a wonderful, thoughtful person, and our family is blessed to have you!!

Here is the article:  http://www.thedailyjournal.com/article/20131009/LIFESTYLE/310090048


God bless you mom, as you take the next step towards recovery.  You will beat this again, but this time for good!  We have lots of fun things to do yet so stay strong, focused, and positive.  We all know you will win again!!

Ingredients:

3/4 Cup Butter
2 Cups Sugar
1 16 oz. Can Pumpkin
4 Eggs
2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Cup Walnuts, chopped (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Greased and floured 15 x 10 Pan

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Blend in pumpkin and eggs.

Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.

Spread mixture into pan.  Bake for 30 to 35 mintutes.

Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (3oz) Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Cups Confectioners Sugar

Combine softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla, mixing until well blended.

Gradually add sugar, mixing well after each addition.

Spread over the cake and top with chopped walnuts.  Cut into bars.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Patty! I'm making these tonight for Rocco to bring to school tomorrow for his birthday treat. We will say an EXTRA prayer for your mom tonight!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete