Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Super Easy Apple Cake

Apples are so plentiful right now and we are always looking for new ways to use them.  I am fortunate I have two apple trees in my back yard and this year was the year for them to flourish, thanks to my husband giving them extra TLC.  We planted our trees the year Alana was born, in fact I was pregnant when the little trees arrived.  They looked like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  So bare and so small.  I thought it would be a miracle if we ever took a bite out of an apple.

Thoughts of Julia Roberts were swimming in my head when she was in the movie Sleeping with the Enemy, she rented a home in the South with an apple tree in the back yard.  I watched her pick, and gather the apples that she placed in a pile in the front of her country style dress.  She then returned to her kitchen to make a homemade apple pie, and I thought how great it must be to walk in your own back yard, pick apples and immediately bake them up into something wonderful.

My dream came true and I had the most beautiful apples this year, so I did what I always wanted to do, I picked the apples and baked a wonderful dessert.  Take a look at my apples, still basking in the sun, aren't they a beauty?


This dessert is so easy and you won't believe how fast it is to do.  If you don't have beautiful apples growing in your yard, don't fret,  just stop by the store and grab a few.  You will only need 3 for this dessert.  Seriously, this cake is so moist and no one will ever know you used boxed cake mix.  Perfect for times when you have to make a dessert with little time and so few ingredients.

Preheat oven to 350

Grease a tube pan

Ingredients:

1 Box Super Moist Yellow Butter Cake Mix
1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts

Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions.  Stir in the cinnamon and vanilla extract, then fold in the chopped apples and nuts.

Pour the batter into prepared pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake come out clean.  Allow to cool.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Here is the finished product, doesn't it look yummy?




No comments:

Post a Comment