Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Baked Italian Meatballs

Happy Sunday!

In the Italian world Sunday means, a pot of gravy (red) on the stove with all sorts of meat, sausage, country spare ribs, meatballs and sometimes chicken.  Which meat in the gravy is king?  Yes, you guessed it, meatballs....  The first meat we grab for snacking while the gravy is cooking, likely with a slice of bread for proper tasting.   While this wonderful sauce simmers, the aroma moves throughout the house, you find yourself looking at the clock, how much longer until dinner?

Not all meatballs are created equal, every Italian cook swears they make the best or should I say, their mom has the best recipe, of course it's not written down anywhere.  I have a couple of recipes for meatballs and this one is probably my favorite.  I tried to do my best with the amount of ingredients needed, I am Italian, I cook from my heart not from a written recipe.  If you love onion by all  means add it to this but make sure you chop it fine.  Sometimes I add a handful of shredded mozzarella.

I love the fact these meatballs are baked and not fried.  When they are finished be sure you eat one right out of the oven, so make extra, the remaining can be popped right into the simmering gravy.

Mary Zoccola, I dedicate this one to you, I read you receive many compliments when you make them, thank you for posting!


Preheat oven to 375

2 Slices of white bread
1/2 Cup of Milk

1 1/2 Pounds of Ground beef/Veal/Pork
1/2 Teaspoon of Oregano
Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/4 Cup Grated Cheese
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning, Good Seasons packet works great
Salt and Cracked black pepper, to taste
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped fine

In a medium bowl add the bread slices and top with milk.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and when the bread has soaked up the milk add to the meat mixture.

Roll into balls, slightly larger then golf balls,  put them on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, turning meatballs halfway through cooking.  Once cooked, grab a dish and taste one with crusty Italian bread.  Add the remaining to your favorite red gravy recipe.

They will be so tender with tons of flavor.  The milk is the secret!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much!! Your meatball recipe is awesome. I've taken your meatballs to parties and have served them here at my house. Also, I've done a few international nights at my daughters' schools and I've take them there. Your meatballs are ALWAYS a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete