Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Broccoli Rabe with Linguini

At 16 years old I had my first summer job at a restaurant.  I had the breakfast and lunch shift so I had to be at work by 6:00 am.  I lived 45 minutes away so my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Sam let me stay at their home  for a closer commute, they lived 5 minutes away.

She made this one night for dinner and I was in love, I've been making it ever since.  Of course as the years went by I made my own special changes to enhance the flavor.  The best part about this recipe, it is a one pot meal, you literally add the pasta to the same pot you cooked the broccoli rabe.

Thank you Aunt Sandy for the great recipe and for allowing me to sleep a little later in the morning during the summer months I worked in your town.  Aunt Sandy is my grandmother's baby sister, there are 14 siblings between them, my grandmother being the oldest.  Yes, my great-grandmother had 16 children in all, God bless her.  By the way, she lived to be 104, as they say, hard work will never hurt you.


Here's what you need to serve 4:

2 Large Heads Broccoli Rabe - Washed Thoroughly, large stems removed, cut in half
1 Small Red Onion, Chopped
1 Full Head of Garlic, Chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large Can Chicken Broth
Red Pepper Seed, to taste
Handful of Pignoli Nuts, Optional
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 1/2 Pounds of Linguini Fini or Favorite Pasta

In a large pasta pot pour enough oil in pan about an inch from the bottom over medium heat.  Add the chopped onion and saute for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute for a minute more.  Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, nuts, red pepper, stir well until wilted.  Add the chicken broth and enough water to cook the pasta, about 3 cups since you will be cooking the pasta right in this pot.

Once all the ingredients come to a slow boil, add the pasta in the pot increasing the heat to medium high in order the keep the pot boiling.  This will give the pasta an incredible flavor.  When pasta is almost tender, check for seasoning, may need to add salt at this time.

When pasta is finished, scoop out the pasta into a pasta bowl, pour over the broth and broccoli, top with parmesan cheese and stir well.  Serve immediately with warm, crusty Italian bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment