Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Delectable Seared Scallops with Garlic, Spinach and Grape Tomatoes over Pasta



A friend at work, Ann, came in and said she had fresh scallops that her husband Randy just cleaned at the dock.  She generously gave me a bag full.  When I arrived home and opened the bag they were some of the most beautiful scallops I had ever seen.  They were large, plump, fresh and perfect.

I put this recipe together and it was fantastic.

Thank you Ann and Randy, I cannot wait until you are at that dock again!

My daughter and husband have this ritual, when we are finished dinner they will critique the meal, giving it a 1-10 for presentation, taste and texture for everything on the table including salad, veggies and the main meal.  You must know that I have this in the back of my mind while I prepare dinner and I'm always shooting for that 10, even when I make Kraft Mac and cheese, (the milk, butter and cheese mixture has to be just right).  ;-)

I received a 9 1/2 overall, I thought it was a slam dunk 10 across the board; it was wonderful, sweet and full of flavor.  I wish I was eating it right now.  So, I digress.....

My hubby is a very tough critic and has a thing about giving a perfect score, kind of like Simon Cowell. I think, he thinks if he gives me a 10 then I will stop trying so hard.  All while he is gobbling down his food and does not look up until his plate is finished.

By the way, I did ask why he didn't give me a 10 this time.  He said it was because I didn't serve a salad and dessert.  I bow my head, close my eyes and shake it slow...

Tomorrow is another day.

Some interesting facts about a scallop:


  • They are hermaphroditic-that is, they are capable of switching sexes.  Both sexes produce roe - red roe is from a female, white roe is from a male.
  • Scallops may live up to 18 years!  The rings of their shell are an indication of their age.
  • While scallops have traditionally been gathered by dragging the seabed, there is an increasing trade in which scuba divers catch scallops by hand.  This prevents disturbing the seabed, and results in the scallops shells that are undamaged.
Here it is , the recipe that earned 9 1/2 Points....

12 Sea scallops, clean with hinge-like muscle removed
1 Small red onion, chopped
6 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 Pint Grape Tomatoes, washed well
Fresh Spinach, baby or curly, washed well
1 Small can chicken broth
Fresh Parsley
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 lb Linguni or favorite pasta

Put a large pot of water on high and bring to a boil.

In a large frying pan, heat butter and drizzle extra virgin olive oil on high heat until oil is hot, this part is very important.  Dry the scallops thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.  Place in the pan, you will hear it sizzle, this is what you want.  Sear for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until nicely browned.  Take scallops out of pan and keep warm.  

 Add more oil to same pan if necessary, reduce heat to medium and add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper until tomatoes start to burst.  Add the onions and saute until they are slightly tender, add the garlic, and cook for another minute.  Add the chicken broth and allow the flavors to come together.

Add salt to the boiling water along with the pasta.

Add a couple handfuls of spinach to the tomato, garlic sauce, check for seasoning, if needed add some pasta water, the spinach may absorb some of the juice and you need enough to cover the pasta.

When pasta is finished, drain well and pour pasta into large bowl, top with sauce and mix well.  Arrange the warm scallops around the dish, finish with chopped parsley.

Serve with grated cheese, bread and God forbid, don't forget the salad and dessert.





No comments:

Post a Comment