Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Delicious Vodka Sauce

This will taste just like the restaurant, actually I think it is better.  I was honored when the bank at my work ran a contest for the employees featuring me as an author since I wrote a cookbook.  They were having a raffle for their anniversary and the winner won the sauce of their choice from my cookbook along with other food goodies in a gift basket.

The choices were, crab sauce, shrimp scampi, meat gravy, vodka sauce and alfredo sauce, I was shocked when two out of the three requested vodka sauce.   If it were me I would have had a hard time deciding over crab sauce and shrimp scampi.  Vodka sauce would not have been a consideration, it was after all a prize and I would have wanted the seafood choice.  The employees who won did rave over the vodka sauce and I am happy to share this with you.  I guess it was the best choice after all.

NJM Bank, thank you for giving me this wonderful opportunity, I was honored to be a part of such a wonderful occasion and I had a great time preparing the baskets!

Feel free to add chicken, shrimp, peas or a combination of them.




Ingredients:

2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Large Shallot, chopped
1/2 Sweet Onion, chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 14.5 oz Can Whole Tomatoes, drained and crushed
3 Fresh Plum Tomatoes, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Vodka
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Parsley, Chopped
Grated Cheese for sprinkling
Salt and Pepper to taste
Favorite pasta, recommended penne

Put a large pot of water to boil for pasta and add salt.

In a saucepan, saute the shallots and onions in enough oil to cover pan and butter without browning, add the garlic and saute for one minute.

Add the tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper.  Saute for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat, add the heavy cream, basil and parsley.  At this time add the pasta to the boiling water.

Cook until sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon, add the vodka and mix well.

Drain pasta, add to the sauce and toss to blend ingredients.  Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment